Importance of Exfoliation
Exfoliate your way to healthy, glowing skin!
Exfoliation is the removal of dry, dead skin cells on the surface of the skin. It is one of the most important aspects in your home skincare routine, not only for our face, but body too. Not only does it help with many skin concerns, it also helps increases blood circulation achieving a healthy, beautiful skin.
How often should I exfoliate?
Regular exfoliation two to three times a week is recommended for a healthy skin care routine. While it’s important not to strip away too many of our natural oils, it’s essential to keep a good balance and remove dead skin cells.
Who benefits from exfoliation?
Everyone can benefit from exfoliation. But conditions that can really be improved with regular exfoliation includes:
– oily, congested skin (blackheads/whiteheads/minor acne breakouts)
– dry, dehydrated skin with cell buildup
– surface pigmentation is alleviated to help brighten the skin’s evenness
Benefits of exfoliation:
– helps to reduce the occurrence of acne and blackhead breakouts
– increases efficiency of product penetration
– helps speed up the skin renewal process
– reduces fine lines and wrinkles
– aids your skin to maintain its luster and shine as you age
– helps lighten and brighten age/sun spots
– helps makeup apply more evenly
Aftercare of exfoliation:
– apply a moisturizing lotion to help hydrate the skin from inside out
– avoid any UV exposure for the first 24 hours; make sure to properly protect your skin with an SPF
The difference between manual exfoliation and chemical exfoliation:
Manual exfoliation involves using products that contain some type of rough material (such as grains or beads) or mild, abrasive tools like exfoliating wash gloves/sponges. By rubbing these particles against your skin, you will buff away the layer of dead skin cells, revealing newer, health-looking skin.
Chemical exfoliation includes using acid-rich (AHA- alpha hydroxyl acids), enzyme-based products or vitamin A to help gently exfoliate the skin. They work by dissolving the bonds between the skin cells to stimulate the shedding process. By making it easier for the cells to slough off, new skin is revealed, exposing a brighter and smoother you!
Exfoliation delivers a tighter, firmer, smoother look. It is recommended that a skin specialist prescribe your exfoliation products and routine to best maximize the effects and get the best results possible for your skin.